[linux-avc2210k] Re: tuner usage

  • From: Dr J A Gow <J.A.Gow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-avc2210k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:43:36 +0000

Hi,

        'avctune' is the command you need for the tuner. Firstly you need to
scan for channels. Run avcctrl first in order to initialize the
device and then:

Plug in your aerial and run:

avctune -r UK -s 0

for the UK or

avctune -r USA -s 0

for the USA/NTSC

to scan for channels and set the channels file. This will appear as a
file in your home directory.

To tune:

avctune -r UK -t <channelnum> 0

where <channelnum> is the channel ID in your channels file.

Then, to watch it

avcctrl -f PAL -t MPEG2 -q BEST -s TUNER -v 0

will switch the hardware video coder to the tuner, cat /dev/avcap0 >
xine stdin:/// will let you watch it.

Warning - it's still experimental code. There is a bug in the firmware
on the device where if you try to capture an unlocked signal (static)
the device may crash (note that the device crashes, the driver does
not). To recover, powercycle the device and rerun avcctrl.

Note also that the two regions, UK and USA require appropriate settings
for avcctrl to successfully scan: i.e. it's no good scanning for PAL
signals in USA, or NTSC signals in UK - avctune will throw an error.

The whole avc2210k system is controlled by a master configuration file
in /etc/avc2210k.conf.xml. It's worth a look at this file to see what it
actually does.

        John.

BTW I wrote the thing because I stubbornly refused to use Windows just
to watch video ... :)