[Linux-Anyway] Re: eth1

  • From: horrorvacui@xxxxxxx
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 03:00:08 +0100

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:09:53 -0800 (PST)
Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Horror,
>
>   Alright.  Maybe I'm just not having a good day.  I'd connected
> the second nic to a second hub (the one my brother's 'puter uses
> though it ~is~ connected to the first hub) & find that I get no
> light indicating that the second nic is cooperating.

The indicator light, for all I know, ascertains only that the cable is
connected to the port, and that the other end of the cable is connected to
a port as well. It's purely hardware stuff.

>   So, using linuxconf, I removed all entries concerning eth1,
> leaving only eth0 with the public address.  I then tried pinging
> the private ip for that card & got an unreachable response.  OK.
> I then enter the command you'd given me to assign a second ip
> address to a card which already has an address:
>
> # /sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.0.2 up
>
>   Then, the private address:
>
> # ping 192.168.0.2
> PING 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2) from 192.168.0.2 : 56(84) bytes of
> data.
> 64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=90 usec
>
>   Good, that works.  Now the public address:
>
> # ping 63.249.19.72
> PING 63.249.19.72 (63.249.19.72) from 63.249.19.72 : 56(84) bytes
> of data.
> 64 bytes from 63.249.19.72: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=91 usec
>
>   Cool.  Both addresses work.  But the private address on the
> W2k box:

Well, if you have two NIC's, you need eth0 and eth1 - sorry for bringing
in the confusion with double IP's pro NIC. But before you set up eth0 with
public IP and eth1 with the private again, connect the winbox to the hub
the eth0 is connected to, and try pinging it from the Linux box (and vice
versa). If that works, at least the winbox works as it should. Than take
the private address off the eth0 (using the same command you added it
with, supplementing down for up) and put it on the eth1. Then unplug eth0
from the hub and plug eth1 in (we're still talking about the same hub).
Try pinging the winbox. If it doesn't work, eth1 is misconfigured. If it
works, you've made it - plug eth0 back to the hub, and plug eth1 and the
winbox to the other hub. If it doesn't work then, the hub (or at least a
port) is fried.

>   The W2k box still won't respond.  But if I simply supply public
> addresses, it works fine.

Hm, funny. After I finished writing the above, I saw this line - and it
makes me suspicios. If pinging works when you configure the winbox with a
public address, the private addresses should work too. The only thing I
can think of now is that one of the hubs might be not a hub, but a switch.
If a switch remembers having a public address connected to a port, it
could fail to forward them to it even if the address has changed. This
might seem ridiculous, since (I believe) switches work with MAC addresses,
not IP, yet after replugging a few cables, my MCSE trainer always used to
switch the switch off and on "to reset the cache". I don't believe it, but
this might be a clue.

>   Are we still stalking ipmasq?  The more I read of it the
> further I get from getting this working....

Not yet. Ipmasq comes in when the connectivity is there. The only way
ipmasq could have anything to do with the problems you're dealing with now
is that it is integrated with the firewall. The firewall might be
configured to drop ICMP packets, which makes pinging impossible. Turning
off the firewall while hunting for connectivity might in fact be a good
idea.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui