[Linux-Anyway] Re: More Re: Re: eth1

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 10:35:31 -0800 (PST)

  Hey,

  Well, days pass, circumstances change.  But no better.

  I got the hard drive I'd ordered for V's 1.1GHz box (it came
with only a 4GB drive), & I learn that I'd orderd not just a
Maxtor 40GB drive, but "40 GB MAXTOR OR FUJITSU OR SAMSUNG  ATA
100; 5400 RPM; 2MB,8.9 ms."  Stupd me for not fully reading the
fine print.

  Naturally, I got a Fujitsu, & there are problems with various
Fujitsu drives & W2k (see M$ Knowledgebase & posts on the Web).
So, the easiest solution was to give V the P-III 733MHz box I
~was~ working with, as it's pretty stable, & she doesn't need
many "extras" & take the 1.1GHz box for myself & install W98 for
my games.

  Meanwhile, I'd asked yet another person about private
networking, & he tells me that as I have a Cisco 675 adsl router,
I can use dhcp on the Win boxes, & the router will assign
addresses.

  OK.  I assume this is only if a box doesn't use dhcp -- in
other words, the boxes on the lan running static public address
won't be effected, I hope.

  Anyway, I suppose I'd turned dhcp off on the router, as the W98
box isn't getting an address & can ping nothing with dhcp.  But,
when I assign 10.0.0.3 to it, & make the router the gateway, it
will ping the router, but neither 10.0.0.2 -- the Linux box (I
find that I don't yet have routed running -- though I'd
installed it, I don't find it, so I'll have to reinstall the
routing package), nor can it (naturally, without routed) ping any
public address.

  So, with routed & whatever else is required of it (config,
etc), this should start working, right?  Am I really on to
something now?

  Meph

--
  FROM THE DESK OF