[Linux-Anyway] Re: More Re: Re: eth1

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:32:13 -0800 (PST)

  Horror,

> >   Looking round at stuff on ipmasq, I find a lot to do with
> > iptables.  So, I run:

> > # /sbin/ipchains -L
> > Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
> > target     prot opt     source                destination
> > ports
> <snip>
> > Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
> > target     prot opt     source                destination
> > ports
> > MASQ       all  ------  10.0.0.0/24          anywhere
> > n/a

> >   Why's my masq still st to 10.0.0.0/24?  How do I change
> >   that?

> The question is, how it got there at all?

  Got me.  Maybe something default, maybe something I did.  Who
knows at this point?

  But, from your tip, it's fixed:

# /sbin/ipchains -L
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination
ports
icmp       icmp ------  anywhere             anywhere
any ->   any
ACCEPT     tcp  ----l-  192.168.0.0/24       Rhiannon.Aeon-AL.Net
any ->   any
ACCEPT     tcp  ----l-  Rhiannon.Aeon-AL.Net 192.168.0.0/24
any ->   any
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination
ports
MASQ       all  ------  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere
n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
Chain icmp (1 references):
target     prot opt     source                destination
ports
ACCEPT     all  ------  anywhere             anywhere
n/a

> >   Then, with nat:

> > # /sbin/iptables -t nat -L
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> > init_module: Device or resource busy
> > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> > including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
> >       You may find more information in syslog or the output from
> > dmesg
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> > insmod
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o
> > failed
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> > insmod ip_tables failed
> > iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `nat': iptables
> > who? (do you need to insmod?)
> > Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

> >   I know almost nothing about iptables.  Can anyone tell me
> > what's up with all this?

> What kernel do you have?

2.4.18-24.7.x

> It seems like it's 2.2.x, which works with ipchains only.
> Iptables is introduced with 2.4.x, and although you have
> iptables utils installed, there seems to be no kernel support,
> causing iptables to crap out. If you manage to configure this
> with ipchains and upgrade to 2.4.x, you can still use your old
> ipchains rules (the iptables syntax is just different enough to
> make me do exactly this) by compiling ipchains-support in the
> kernel. I'd stay with 2.2.x and ipchains for this box if I were
> you.

  Looks like the wonder of RH's updates.  I'm running RH 7.2, but
even that started with 2.4.7-10, so it should be tables.  Running
any tables command just gives me module errors, so I think I must
only be running chains, since I don't get errors with chains
commands.

  Anyway, though I've got the 192 stuff corrected, we may be
dealing with a problem on the W2k side, as it only wants to do
anything with public addresses.  I suspect it should be able to
at least ping 192.168.0.2, the Linux box, even if the card on the
Linux box won't forward through the public address to the gateway
the Linux box uses.  I'm sooooooooo confused.

  Meph

--
  We know all about the habits of the ant, we know all about the
  habits of the bee, but we know nothing at all about the habits