[Linux-Anyway] Re: eth1

  • From: horrorvacui@xxxxxxx
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:24:58 +0100

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:31:11 -0800 (PST)
Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Hey,
>
>   Poking in the dark here.  Each appears to be OK, but eth1
> isn't accessable from 10.0.0.3, the W2k box.  Anyone know what
> I've done wrong?
> # /sbin/ifconfig eth1
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:08:A0:92:22
>           inet addr:10.0.0.2  Bcast:10.255.255.255
> Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:3
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:300 (300.0 b)
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xecc0
>
>   Meph

The reason is that you don't have eth1. You have only one NIC in there,
right? Then eth1 is what you could call "virtual interface", hehe. The one
that's physically connected with your winbox is eth0, and you need to
configure two addresses for it. Now, I've known for a long time that linux
can have more IP's on the same NIC, but I never needed it, didn't know how
it's done, and found out that this isn't documented either. ifconfig
manpage didn't help, google did. What you need is:
ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.2 up
The description I found said: ifconfig IF:N <ip-address> up/down, where IF
is clearly the interface name, and N a number between 1 and 255, meaning
that you can switch 256 IP's on one interface on and off as you please,
yipee. Don't know why, but this newly discovered fact gives me a strange
pleasure.

Hope this helps

Cheers

--