[Linux-Anyway] Re: W98 boot disk

  • From: storm <storm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:42:53 -0600

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 12:16, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:47:53 +0100, John Richard Smith
> <bagsofchoice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So if you want to add to the boot disk, shall we say an unusual mouse
> > driver of something, if you can find enough space in the floppy to stick
> > the driver , by adding a line like,
> >
> > device=mouse.exe
> >
> > or something should ought to run it automatically?
>
> Yes, this is correct.

Not quite.  The config.sys file won't load exe or com files.  It'll just
spew gibberish across the screen.  exe and com files would be loaded in
the autoexec.bat file. .sys and .dos files are basically just info files
for your hardware.  exe and com files are actual programs.  If the "OS"
(Dos in this case) isn't loaded yet, the system doesn't know what to do
with a program. The autoexec picks up where the config.sys left off,
once it knows how to deal with execuatble programs. That's where the IF
"%config%"=="" lines in the autoexec.bat come in.

It can be really helpful to see both files together, so I'm posting them
here.  This is for one of my multicast disks.

hth
stormi

Config.sys

[menu]
menuitem=MULTICAST, Multicast Session.
menuitem=CD, CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, No CD-ROM support.
menudefault=CD,15
menucolor=7,0

[MULTICAST]
DEVICE=\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=\net\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\net\e100b.dos

[CD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:oemcd001

[NOCD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off

[COMMON]
files=60
buffers=20
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z

Autoexec.bat:

@echo off
prompt $p$g
MOUSE.COM
SET DIRCMD=/O:N
cls
set temp=c:\
set tmp=c:\

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:oemcd001 /L:D

echo.
IF "%config%"=="MULTICAST" goto MULTI
GOTO QUIT

:MULTI
\net\netbind.com
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto QUIT

:NOCDROM
echo.
echo The Windows 98 Setup files were not found.
echo.

:QUIT