[Linux-Anyway] Re: W98 boot disk

  • From: storm <storm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:24:36 -0600

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 08:46, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:53:11 +0100, John Richard Smith
> ><bagsofchoice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> So which bit of the process would load the ramdrive
>

> I note,
>  cat config.sys

> [CD]
> device=himem.sys /testmem:off
> device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
> device=btdosm.sys
> device=flashpt.sys
> device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
> device=aspi2dos.sys
> device=aspi8dos.sys
> device=aspi4dos.sys
> device=aspi8u2.sys
> device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

All CD Rom drivers as I recall, support for some non-standard drives
available at the time and slightly before.

> devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048

> (Just sets some parameters like display and others ?)

Nope, this is your ramdrive.  2 MB I believe.

This config.sys was from the floppy that shipped with your copy of Win98
wasn't it?  I have about 5 of those floppies here.  I modify them
periodically to make floppies with menus that do what -I- want.  I.e. I
have one that allows you to connect to a Ghost Multicast session, load
the CD Rom drivers to image a machine locally from a CD, Start the
windows setup, or just go to a prompt.  This you can then make a
bootable CD out of, from Nero or whatever, or leave on it's own. ( Of
course a bootable CD with CD Rom Drivers seems a little redundant. :))