[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: lou_translate: unicode output?

  • From: Simon Aittamaa <simon.aittamaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 08:39:26 +0100

Hi Bert,

That patch is only for UTF-8 output, unless I missed something? My patch is
based on iconv, which I would say is preferable on *nix systems...

As I suggested earlier, we could introduce a new function,
showStringUnicode() which in turn could use iconv (if available), and
fallback on hand-crafted UTF-8 on encoder on *nix and hand-crafted encoder
for UTF-16 on windows (or simply use the windows API).

Since we are _probably_ only going to output a limited subset of Unicode,
i.e. U+2800..U+28FF, we don't have spend that much time on handling
edge-cases, we can simply error-out on anything that isn't a
braille-pattern, or?

Best,
Simon