[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Windows builds

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxx>
  • To: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:41:32 +0200

"John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> liblouis and liblouisutdml will have new "windows" directories that
> contain a configuration file and a makefile for nmake. Porting new
> releases for either 32 or 64 bits will then be simply a matter of
> modifying the configuration file and then running nmake.

We had this approach before in that we had a directory for Mac where a
copy of the Makefiles were. However whenever there was a change in the
Makefiles (say there was a table) we forgot to also update the Makefiles
for the Mac. So I'd say this approach failed. Luckily in the end it
turned out the you can use autotools on the Mac and we got rid of the
Mac-specific Makefiles.

I'm worried that this will be the fate of a windows specific build
directory. I managed to cross-compile liblouis before using mingw, so
I'd really like to know what the problems with mingw are.

> Scons sounds interesting. Frankly, i don't like autotools, but I don't
> think we will switch.

I kinda like autotools and its tight integration with the rest of the
tool chain (gnulib, generation of the documentation, etc), but then
again I only build on Linux. I wouldn't mind a more modern build tool
like cmake or scons, however I think this is a lot of work and I will
not invest any time in it.

Die SBS laedt Sie herzlich ein:
Tag der offenen Tuer am 25. Juni 2011 von 9 bis 16 Uhr.
Mehr Informationen erhalten Sie unter http://www.sbs.ch/offenetuer