[LRflex] Re: R3 meter

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:52:09 -0700

At 25/10/2006, you wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>My name's Keith Longmore; I live in Norfolk, England.  I have a
>(ridiculously, according to my wife) large collection of cameras, including
>quite a few spy and miniature cameras.  Two of the collection are Leica
>Reflexes, an R-E, with macro lenses, and an R3.  I use the R-E, which is
>immaculate, and get excellent results.  However, the R3's meter doesn't work
>- absolutely dead -  (though the shutter is fine) and I was wondering if
>anyone out there might have any comments or information?  I know it's much
>the same as the Minolta XE-1 (my daughter had one, on which the shutter
>failed, but it had a good meter, and I threw.it.away.!  That was pre-R3.).
>Is it an expensive item to sort?

Hi Keith!

I cannot comment on the R3's meter, specifically.  Although I no
longer have the data at hand, I know that Kindermann, the Canadian
repair agency used to charge a significant premium for a CLA on an R3
as compared to the late 'R' cameras.  As well, they would only
guarantee the repairs for 90 days, even though all other repairs were
guaranteed for 12 months.

I'd ask around at some reputable UK repair shops... there are a few
independents specializing in Leica.  They should be able to give you
more guidance.

Good luck!  Keep us posted on what you find out, will you?