[LRflex] Re: OT: Micro 4/3 , Leica R & M users, plus other goodies

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:05:50 -0700

At 9/21/2009, you wrote:
Walter Kramer wrote:

> Good point, I assume that should lead to higher resolution than
> otherwise?
>

>> Miha Golobic wrote:
>
>> p.s. the technical quality of the photos taken with the L1 has to do
>> with the weak anti-aliasing filter, IMHO.

I feel it does but some who are using AA-filtered cameras will disagree,
rather defensively too.  No clear consensus.

Hi Doug, Walter, Miha!

I agree with Doug... that the better technical quality exhibited by some cameras has a lot to do with their having weaker AA filters. After all, these filters work by blurring the image, when taken, and then applying electronic sharpening (yes, even in raw!) to compensate.

The Canon's are reputed to have the strongest AA filters ... though I have images taken with my 20D and 30D which show Moire patterns.... though I admit, not very many! But then, Moire patterns were never a problem, for me, with the DMR, either!

I like the Oly, because, like the Panasonics, it has one of the weakest AA filters around. Of course, the DMR, M8 & M9 do not have them, at all. Neither do the S2, or any MF format digital back that I know of.

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Rodeo Photos: www.galleries.furnfeather.net