[LRflex] Re: IMG: more Goldeneye ducks

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:08:31 -0800 (PST)

Hello Steve,
   you raise excellent questions about the context and circumstances of
my observations on some of Doug's Posted jpegs. I definitely don't find
'all internet jpegs' to be problematic, not at all. My sentence might
be more artfully written as seeing the noted issues in previous posts
from the same author. When i view the images posted on the list, I
frequently encounter gorgeous images which aren't showing the ill
effects I see in my own personal images from extreme sharpening filtration,
powerful curves/levels/contrast
manipulations, image resizings by 'ham fisted' algorithims I've
encountered in some websites, and the ill effects I've encountered
frequently in the images from Point & Shoot cameras with tiny
sensors.
   As for the questions about whether there are exceptions, only fron
LUG gallery, etc - I believe Doug posts his images from a specific site
and it's related to a website of his (if I recall correctly!) so I
guess my comments are quite site specific. I've seen quite gorgeous
images all over the net posted to the list.
   As for hardware, I believe my comments are quite independent of my
specific hardware. Not because the equipment is perfect! :-) It isn't!
But because on the HP laptop I semi-regularly email view on, the
Windows setup of my girlfriend with it's big honking LCDs and my
(Beloved) "MacPro" With a quality CRT & LCD, I have encountered the same
internal image quality issues in some of Doug's posts that leads me to suspect
the issues are integral to the jpegs themselves and independent of my viewing
hardware. I would add that I work very hard to achieve as much image
consistency and quality on my Mac setup as is reasonable absent owning a Color
Calibrator. ie:using a PC Gamma, setting the manufaturer profiles for the
monitors AND at least once a week using the OS integrated Calibration
Abilities. I wouldn't hesitate to throw the Desktop & Laptop I sometimes use
'under the bus' for image quality issues! I wouldn't trust em on that point as
far as I could throw em! and I'm Disabled! Still, I must admit that my own
flickr posts appear acceptably near how the images appear on my mac, to
personally not be fretting much over the issue when it comes to web jpegs.

I do have a terrific question of my own for Doug or the group in general.
Are any of the images shot with a 'Mirror' lens? The weird out of focus donuts
and unique bokeh of such Telephoto's might easily go bonkers when an otherwise
gorgeous image is scaled down.

I guess all I can add is that I'm viewing the images with firefox (in winxp and
OSX10.8 respectively) so maybe it's an issue with this specific browser program
itself, but the  issues with image quality I originally posted about are ones I
rarely encounter with other links from the group independent of
platform/monitor.

To re-iterate my original query/observation. With a number of the very cool
images Doug posts, I bump into a harshness in them that jumps out to me as
unusual - especially with images shot with Leica Glass on a dSLR or on Film.
Things such as uninviting bokeh qualities, hard transitions between light and
dark areas, and 'artifacts' I associate with Sharpening Filters run amok. These
make me wonder as to whether a program somewhere stabbed the images in the
back, a website or hosting site mangled them with aggressive compression tools
or a ham fisted automatic scale to fit algorithym worked it's dark magic
somewhere along the way.

Heck, maybe it's an issue with the 's.o.b.' internet service provider I'm
accessing through?

Sincerely

Richard in Michigan