[LRflex] Re: IMG: more Goldeneye ducks

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:20:15 -0500

Richard Ward wrote:

 ... wonder about what I perceive to be an overall harshness to the image
which, to my eye, is wreaking havoc with the aesthetic enjoyability of the
posted images. I come away with the distinct feeling these images have run
afoul (pardon the pun) of a scale down to internet  process run astray or
have been the victim of extreme over compression at a host site somewhere.
<<<

Without seeing what's on your computer screen, a number of factors can be
in play here.  Some ISPs compress images before sending them to
subscribers, for faster dowload times, also much is lost when downsizing
from the original dimensions to 600 pixels wide (what I typically use).
I'm also using enough jpg compression to keep the web version of the file
to about 100k or smaller, as an attempt at finding a good balance between
image quality and download time.  Since I'm not exactly an unbiased
observer, perhaps those who have seen some of my prints can compare the
screen image with the prints.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com