[LRflex] Re: IMG: more Goldeneye ducks

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:31:36 -0800

On Jan 11, 2010, at 9:20 AM, wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Richard Ward wrote:
>

> ... wonder about what I perceive to be an overall harshness to the image
> which, to my eye, is wreaking havoc with the aesthetic enjoyability of the
> posted images. I come away with the distinct feeling these images have run
> afoul (pardon the pun) of a scale down to internet  process run astray or
> have been the victim of extreme over compression at a host site somewhere.
> <<<
>
> Without seeing what's on your computer screen, a number of factors can be
> in play here.  Some ISPs compress images before sending them to
> subscribers, for faster dowload times, also much is lost when downsizing
> from the original dimensions to 600 pixels wide (what I typically use).
> I'm also using enough jpg compression to keep the web version of the file
> to about 100k or smaller, as an attempt at finding a good balance between
> image quality and download time.  Since I'm not exactly an unbiased
> observer, perhaps those who have seen some of my prints can compare the
> screen image with the prints.

it's not clear to me Richard whether you refer to all images on all screens,
certain images on one screen, or something in between.

As I have not noticed this problem with most images on many screens, I have to
wonder if this is not possibly  something about your screen, setup, ISP...?

I am looking at Doug's great egret, his print on my wall next to his image on
my i Mac... I see no difference,

Steve