Re: Leica Telyt & adapters

  • From: Henning Wulff <henningw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:07:02 -0800

At 5:24 AM -0800 1/15/07, Douglas Herr wrote:
On Jan 15, 2007, at 1:43 AM, Bart Peeren wrote:

Henning,
I use an old (60's-70's) Novoflex 5.6/400mm Noflexar with "squeeze-focussing" on both Pentax and Canon Dslr.
Same results as Telyt and any adapter still available from Novoflex!

Bart.

The Novoflex to watch for is the more recent 3-element T-Noflexar. IME the older 2-element Novoflex f/5.6 won't give you the detail or color saturation of the Telyt, while the T-Noflexar will challenge the Telyt's detail rendition and its color saturation while not quite up to Telyt standards is much improved. As far as handling is concerned, hand-held I'd rather use the Telyt and on a tripod especially in a blind (UK: hide) the Novoflex is my choice, primarily because my hand on the focus grip is well away from the blind's lens port so I'm much less likely to spook the birds.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

That's my take as well. The 6.8 Telyts are unmatched for handheld shots, but if you are using a tripod, there are a lot of other choices, especially once the weight isn't as much of an issue.

--
   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design