Re: Leica Telyt & adapters

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:13:48 -0800

On Jan 14, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Michael Levy wrote:

1) I can get Visolfelx mounts and R mounts what is the difference and does it matter if it is a 3-cam or not, as i will be using this on a Pentax DSLR.

For use on the Pentax the cams or Viso/R mount makes no difference.

4) As the camera has an aps-sized sensor a 400 mm tely would have an (apparently) longer reach-- more like 550. I assume the 560 Telyt would be more like an 800 mm.... any thought or ideas on this? I'd probably use my Bogen tripod, even tho the camera has an anti-shake system built in

I'm using the f/6.8 Telyts most often with the shoulder stock (originally included with the lens) combined with a monopod, even the 560mm with 1.4x extender plus the DMR's 1.37x crop factor.

Finally i know nothing about these lenses and fheir max apertures. some seem to be f/5.6 tops, is that true of all telytrs?

There are a few series of the pre-APO Telyts. The first two were the 280mm f/4.8 and 400mm f/5.0, both originally in thread mount for the Visoflex. On both if these the helical focussing mount is very fine-pitched and the minimum focus distance isn't very impressive, but on the last versions of both the optical head unscrews and can be used with the 14138 adapter on the Televit rapid-focus grip. BTW I recently scored TWO of these very rare adapters <vbg>.

The second series of pre-APO Telyts were the 400mm f/5.6 and 560mm f/5.6 which were made to fit the Televit rapid-focus grip and ONLY the Televit. These are simple two-element achromats which give quite good optical performance, a bit more contrast (so I've heard) than the 280mm f/4.8 and 400mm f/5.0 and some field curvature. The Televit was supplied with a shoulder stock for hand-held use but IMHO these lenses are more suited to tripod use than hand-held.

The third series of pre-APO Telyts are the 400mm f/6.8 and 560mm f/6,8. These are the lenses that we've been discussing and the ones that most of us Telyt users are using. The shoulder stock was originally supplied with these lenses and they're a joy to use hand-held. With all but the slowest films these lenses are excellent for outdoor bird photography, likewise with a reasonably high ISO on a DSLR.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com