Re: Leica Telyt & adapters

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:11:59 -0800

Mike:
On an EOS 20D, the factor is 1.6X. A 400mm f/6.8 Telyt becomes a 640mm lens. On the EOS 1D mark II, it's 1.3X so you get a 560mm lens. Om a Pentax, it's probably 1.5X so you'd have 600mm.

There's another aspect to the crop factor. On any dSLR with an APS-sized sensor, the camera 'sees' only the center of the lens' projected image. This means you're getting the lens' center 'sweet' spot, where it has the best optical performance. That's a big advantage with two-element achromats like the Telyts. They have their best resolution and contrast near the image center, especially at full aperture. That's where you'll likely be using them most of the time, at least at first.

Since these lenses have completely manual apertures, the viewfinder view darkens as you stop them down. You'll focus at maximum aperture, then stop them down if you want more depth of field. You frequently don't have time to stop down after focusing with quick-moving wildlife, so you'll get lots of images at full aperture. With f/5.6 or f/6.8, that's OK for many pictures. You may wish for even less depth of field to isolate subjects from the background even more.

A mount adaptor for a Visoflex Telyt will be sturdier than its Leicaflex or Leica R counterpart. Of course you'll need a lens with a mount that can be adapted to fit your camera.

Mark Bohrer
Wildlife Photography on the Urban Edge
www.mountain-and-desert.com

At 10:01 AM 1/14/2007, you wrote:
My 50-200 Pentax is OK,. but not quite long enough. I have been
amazed at the Leica Telyt images I've seen and may start looking for
one. BUT I have some questions:

1) I   can get Visolfelx mounts and R mounts  what is the difference
and does it matter if it is a 3-cam or not, as i will be using this
on a Pentax DSLR.

2) I suppose it will be a manual focus deal -- which is fine, I am
still capale of doing that,

3) what about adapters, who makes them and where do I find them-- I
know a lot of you are using these lenses on Canons....

4) As the camera has an aps-sized  sensor a 400 mm tely would have an
(apparently) longer reach-- more like  550. I assume the 560 Telyt
would be more like an 800 mm.... any thought or ideas on this? I'd
probably use my Bogen  tripod, even tho the camera has an anti-shake
system built in

Finally i know nothing about these lenses and fheir  max apertures.
some seem to be f/5.6 tops, is that true of all telytrs? Thars sure
fast enough for outdoor bird photography, I'd think.

Any help apprecited,
Mike Levy