Re: Getting a grip...

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:34:52 -0700

David:
Your solution is very elegant!

My 400mm f/6.8 Telyt has the grip with the hole. I stuck a piece of velcro to the Canon RS80 and looped a mating velcro strap through the hole in the grip. It's a bit awkward, but it works well enough for a backup 400mm lens. Your setup is much better.

At 07:28 AM 7/24/2005, you wrote:
Good Mornin'!

Those of you who know me, know that I'm like the litte bird... "cheap...cheap!" And I'm a bit of a tinkerer, too.

When I bought my 400 Telyt, I bought the cheapest one I could find... It was in great condition; but, as you'd exepect, it had the old style, folded aluminum hand grip - rather than the newer, moulded hand grips which have a spot for either cable or electric release.

No matter.  I built one, from hard Maple.

Now, I've found the need to convert it to an electric release, so I can conveniently use the Telyt with the 20D body. (Up until now, I've been pressing the button in the normal way, which causes a lot of shots to be lost to camera shake.)

If you're not interested in do-it-yourself camera projects, ignore this post.

But if you are in to that sort of thing, and would like to see how it can be done... you might find a peek at <http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/getting_a_grip.htm>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/getting_a_grip.htm interesting.

Comments, or suggestions for improvements, appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

David.

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.
Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: <http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!