Re: #225

  • From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:16:22 -0700

Hi Jim:

I am so pleased that you posted this response.

I have watched with amusement the various arguments on the lists for and against altering an image. It's as if we would never have done such a things years ago - yet, working everyday in the darkroom almost 60 years ago with wedding pictures and portraits, I don't think we ever put out one photograph that wasn't retouched, burned, dodged, cropped, softened, tinted - you name it. And some of the hand coloring - well, it was fabulous, but not always true to life - on purpose.

To me, it's all about what you said, making the final photograph what the photographer envisions. And in this digital age it's all that much easier to do it, I think. And doesn't it make sense. If you can make something better, or more like you saw it, or how you think it would have more impact, why not do it? Unless you are a news photographer, journalist, forensic photographer, or taking pictures for a documentary or something like that, I cannot see the harm in it.

In matter of fact, it's a great to see what Graham and Sunny can do. Oh, yeah, I guess Sunny started it with his pictures of chairs on a porch and some sort of machine at a fair or something - but isn't it fun! ;-)

Thanks.  And take care,

Ted

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>