[JA] Re: empty message first

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:16:25 -0700

OK, there are some virus/trojan/worm [hereinafter just called virus]
which launch without opening the attachment. These depend upon holes in
Internet Explorer [IE] [used to help run Juno, thought I heard something
in this group that Juno would work OK without it, just would not cleanly
render html or formatted email] which are between one and two years old.
Some folk find it difficult to upgrade to IE 5.5 or 6, then install all
the patches, so they remain vulnerable to these old chestnuts. Depending
on circumstance they might not launch as well with Juno as with a
complete Microsoft system such as Outlook Express.

People in this category have discovered that if their read screen index
shows a file without an attachment, they can go through the other files
and identify [by the header and the attachment icon] those which might be
virus. Since the read screen is reading the file without the attachment
[hopefully the blank or test file sent first the *prior* time they
connected to update mail [thus making it first in a list in ascending
time sequence] they can hold down the CTRL key, select these files in
addition, delete them, then empty the deleted mail box. If all this is
done right the suspected virus emails are never opened and any virus
cannot go through these IE holes. I suppose they could also issue a
command to forward this group of messages, save them as a text file in
the write screen, delete the forward before sending, and then open the
text file and safely investigate these emails.

Those who have upgraded to IE 5.5 or higher and keep up with patch
installation have no danger of virus launch without opening the
attachment [currently, to the best of my understanding, except perhaps
for some quirky things which have not become actual virus].

thepccat

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:56:46 -0500 "Robert M. Cosby" <jvpoa@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

> I fail to see how this could protect against getting viruses.
[...]