[JA] Re: What's this in "Subject" line?

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:04:09 -0500

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 04:38:13 -0500 John C Hallgren
<j.c.hallgren@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Realized that it was due to their name or subject having
> a Swedish character in it that doesn't exist in English...
>(Swedish has 29 letters in alphabet)

Yes, that must be it.  Our old Juno reader cannot decode iso-8859-1
characters properly, so instead we see this indicator which, for us,
clearly marks the message as spam which can be sent to Juno's spamdesk
without ever being opened.  Unless we are in the habit of receiving
messages from users of 8859-1 alphabets, which isn't a problem for me
since I don't know whether my Swedish and Finnish relatives or the
Turkish fellow I met in Stuttgart many years ago have E-mail.