[JA] Re: What's this in "Subject" line?

  • From: bob.in.jersey@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:19:39 EST

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:51:19 PST, babette bloch wrote:
> I got 2 messages from a friend, with the Subject line beginning
> with Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?, followed by a bunch of gobbly-gook.
> The characters after the "=?iso...." are different in each
> message.

This happens in some instances when characters other than [A-Z],
[a-z], and [0-9] appear in the subject or sometimes in the e-mail
address of the sender.  When it occurs depends on the sender's ISP
and the intermediate steps it takes to get to the list server and
ultimately to you.

> Then I noticed that I got two spam messages with the Subject line
> reading =@iso-8859-1?b?, but the chearacters that follow are
> different in each spam message.

In these cases the subject has been partially or completely encoded
using base-64 coding.  The usual reason behind this is to prevent
other people's ISPs from spam-blocking the message because of
objectionable words.

Hope this helps.

--
BOB dot in dot jersey at Juno dot com