[JA] What's this in "Subject" line?

  • From: babette bloch <bvcb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:51:19 -0800

I got 2 messages from a friend, with the Subject line beginning with
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?, followed by a bunch of gobbly-gook.  The
characters after the "=?iso...." are different in each message.

Then I noticed that I got two spam messages with the Subject line reading
 =@iso-8859-1?b?, but the chearacters that follow are different in each
spam message.

His messages have come through with this kind of subject line once or
twice before, and he can't figure out why.  But I've never notices a
whole series of spams with the same beginning of such a subject line.

Can anyone explain this kind of entry into subject lines?  Does it mean
he has a virus or worm?  (His messages came up clean when scanned by
Norton VS.)