[JA] Re: What's this in "Subject" line?

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:53:42 -0800

In other words, the Juno 4 email client is more old fashioned in its MIME
or whatever decoding [than some version of OE or other email client], so
it cannot understand the base-64 coding. There are other things it
sometimes cannot read-- for example, sometimes emails which in other
clients show up as singing, or have pictures inline, render in Juno
without the inline or singing files, but have the files listed as
attachments, wnich then can be opened and viewed/executed. It is
debatable whether this is a disadvantage or actually, in a way, an
advantage. I tend to get very few such emails so it is not much of a
concern one way or the other. With live links in html I often have to
copy them and paste into WordPad on Win 98 in order to see the URL's
without having Juno try to go online even when my other ISP is running.
On the other hand if used Juno 1.49 I would be tearing at what remains of
my hair with most email messages [or would be copying and pasting them to
NoteTab Lite and then stripping out the html tags in order to read
easily]. Ah, the joys and frustrations of using trailing edge technology
;-).

thepccat

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:36:16 -0800 "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx> writes:
[..]
> Note that some mail programs such as Outlook Express automatically
> decode Subject lines entered in this manner and instead of seeing...
 ?iso-8859-1?b?UxmI9met-and-so-on...  you'll see "Re:Get discounted
 Vi*gra..." or whatever.  You may not even realize that the Subject
> line
> is encoded until you try to filter against 'Vi*gra' and it doesn't
> work...  and then you look at the message source and see this encoded
> stuff.
[...]