[JA] Report on Spyware

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:32:15 -0400

Perhaps some original messages are failing to get through, or perhaps we
have been the victims of an industrious hoaxer.

> From: "Roland Stiner" <nk2u@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [JA] Re: Report on Spyware

JH> What reputable source told you these two overtly
> malevolent pieces of software are made to break your
> system when you try to uninstall them?   Which
> uninstallation procedures did you use, and in what
> sense did the systems become broken as a result?

RS> I got the information that was posted on the web page.
> There were two links which gave a lot of information
> about this issue.  Did you read them?

No, I did not read the Web page about these two overtly malevolent pieces
of software made to break your system when you try to uninstall them.
No, I did not see link about what uninstallation procedure you used.  No,
I did not see the link that said in what sense your systems became
broken.  Above all, no, I did not read your original message that
specified the versions of Juno and NetZero in which you found these
items.  Could you repeat the reference?

>JH > How did you identify a user of either Juno or NetZero
>> who has been a target of an act of war by either of those
>> companies?

RS> Did you read the original message with the info on it?

Yes, I read your original message about the "declared war."  Yes, I read
your original message about "two overtly malevolent pieces of software."
Yes, I read your original message that said they "are made to break your
system when you try to uninstall them."  Yes, I read your original
message that said Juno and NetZero "write malware and distribute it."
Yes, I read the original message in which you claimed your unidentified
"source is reputable but not infallible."   Yes indeed, you have made
many original assertions, in many original messages.

However, no, I did not read your original message in which you presented
your evidence that the info in these other original messages was true.
That particular original message remains missing.  Could you repeat your
original message that had the evidence?  Otherwise we are left with the
hallmarks of a hoax:  Plentiful originality, and no evidence.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org