[JA] Report on Spyware

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:40:54 -0400

Comprehensiveness, precision, perspective and traceability are among the
traits that distinguish responsible public warnings from foolishly
destructive panic-mongering.

> From: "Roland Stiner" <nk2u@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [JA] Re: Report on Spyware

>JH > Which old hand has ever seen this bogeyman,
>> of which we are warned?

RS> The source is reputable but not infallible.
> I would rather be safe than sorry.

Excellent.  So you know the source of the warning, you understand the
nature of the danger, and you know how to make yourself safe.  Perhaps
you would like to share this valuable information.

RS> These two overtly malevolent pieces of software are
> made to break your system if you try to uninstall them.
> I would say they're as bad as viruses in that sense.

A very interesting assertion, if true.  What reputable source told you
these two overtly malevolent pieces of software are made to break your
system when you try to uninstall them?   Which uninstallation procedures
did you use, and in what sense did the systems become broken as a result?

RS> Has Juno and NetZero declared war on their userbase?

What reputable source has suggested a declaration of war?  How did you
identify a user of either Juno or NetZero who has been a target of an act
of war by either of those companies?   How many such acts of war have you
identified?  By what method were such acts of war carried out?  Were any
of the acts of war successful, or did every intended victim use your
method to assure being safe rather than sorry?

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org