[JA] Re: Juno's cookies

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:49:01 -0700

As I recall, sometimes the battery was molded into a package with leads,
looking like a big capacitor or something, and what you needed to do is
get out the ol' soldering iron, mount a battery holder on the case
somewhere, and solder wires between the motherboard and the holder.
Certainly not easy for beginners. But once done, you can use inexpensive
A cells or whatever. My emachine of two years vintage has a coin style
battery in a clip holder showing right on the motherboard, with location
shown on documentation.

By the way, how do you tell when it needs to be replaced? Can one make a
voltage measurement, or just replace it frequently on principle? I guess
my time is coming close [1.5 years when the lifetime is said to be ~ 3
years]. On the other hand, I have a paper copy of all the cmos settings
[somewhere], just in case.

Cat

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org