[JA] Re: Juno's cookies

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:26:50 PDT

}Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:11:18 EDT
}Subject: [JA] Juno's cookies
}From: bob.in.jersey

}In the past two days two messages I posted to one of my Yahoo lists
}have bounced, but not for the reason(s) you would expect.

}Juno, on occasion, is known to insert visible 'cookies' into its
}messages, prolly entirely random, generally in the form:

}string of encoded whatever]>

}That's right, a Received: header.  And often right in the usual
}sequence of headers.

}Wellll, the bounces occurred because some list member's mail
}provider (not in the USA) saw this header and thought that that LONG
}string of encoded whatever was an address, which of course it ain't,
}=ergo= it comes back to me...altho' really it shouldn't, because
}list software (whatever it is) should ensure that bounces return to
}the list management or host (right?)

}The list moderator suggested I take this up with you, as he believed
}it to have resulted from a flaw in Juno.

        More likely it was the server that the list runs on doing an
anti-spam/anti-fake scan of the Received: headers, and this header that
juno inserts is failing the test (for likely good reason!)  You need to
take this one up with juno.  Likely send a forward of the bounce,
including the quoted headers from your original massage, to
postmaster@xxxxxxxx with the question above the header.  If they fail to
give a reasonable response within a week (ignore any auto-response!) then
try abuse@xxxxxxxx, because it is an anti-abuse header that is triggering
an anti-abuse filter in to bouncing the message!

        In short, people from juno and the operators of the mailing list
server that is rejecting your mail (NOT the list owner, but the server
owner) need to talk to each other about the problem.
--
| Computerist.    This user is located in California.  It is a violation
of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this user.
---