[jhb] Re: IVAO Tonight

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:53:30 +0100

Interesting question.

IVAO have rightly identified the Isle of Man as separate from the UK but,
for ATC purposes, should be linked to the UK pages. We don't have a separate
FIR and have no authority over airspace allocation. About ten years ago our
CTR was a perfect racetrack shape and then the CAA chopped two bit off it -
we didn't have much say in the matter.

Although we have a separate ANO this is only because it is a legal document
and needs approval in our legislation. Other than that we abide by CAA rules
and the UK Manual of Air Traffic - and are subsumed into the UK AIP.

IVAO members can register as Manx but this becomes confusing as they do not
appear in the IVAO UK pages. We cannot generate an Isle of Man division
without a lot of work - essentially duplicating the IVAO UK pages and
pilot/controller training systems - but this would be hard work. The
requirements for setting up a Division are stringent too - see
http://ivao.aero/rulregs/division.htm

Technically the Isle of Man should be flagged as an active division (as
should Guernsey and Jersey) but should have a link to the UK pages rather
than their own websites. They should not be assumed to be under the control
of IVAO UK so much as being hosted by them under bilateral agreement and a
local rep should be responsible for any content for these areas. Essentially
this would be limited to published operational procedures for the three
airports.