[jhb] Re: IVAO Tonight

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:35:27 +0100

Thinking the fault might lie with IVAP, I've just re downloaded it. However, before installing it I thought I'd perhaps re run the Configuration. When I go to XP's Start Programmes I find IVAO, with two branches to pro starts. One is IVAp - IVAO Virtual Pilot Client and the second IVAp - IVAO Virtual Pilot Client v 2.

Why two and which do I run?  HEEEEEELP!!!

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:
You are probably right about the link being still intact, because although FSX went, the IVAO panel stayed open, until I closed it with Task Manager.

The lockups, sometimes preceded by ground to stratosphere spikes, baffle me. They have to be linked to IVAO because I can't reproduce them off line. Also they occur after landing, never before takeoff, when at the same airfield. Usually they are preceded by an FSX error message about being out of memory and advising a change in FSX settings. Last night there were no messages and it was just FSX that was affected, whereas often it's the system that goes; occasionally to the blue screen.

Which server were you on last night Mike, if you can remember that far back? I think mine usually offers the same server, which I normally just accept. Is there a preferred server, from recent experience?

The only other thing that has changed on my FSX is that for some time, because of the early morning flights, the joining panel has been set to "No Voice". Since I was flying VFR and no ATC at Belfast, I left it at that setting when I joined last night.

Another factor I'd thought might have a bearing is AutoGen. I don't recall having the Lockup in the area covered by the Horizon scenery. That area is free from Default AG, although I have lots of third party AG present, in the main it doesn't include buildings and is certainly not blanket coverage. I'd reduced my AG slider from max to Dense, before last night's flight. Is there any mileage in AG as a cause?

I spoke too soon! I launched IVAP, just, to check what the no voice option was called. I did this by triggering the IVAP panel, pressing the Join panel to look at the option, then pressing the Cancel button. Then On the FSX screen, I went to the top and opted to Stop IVAP. At that point I FSX locked and, untypically, I got the message about FSX having to close, Restart, Phone Message etc.

So, it's happened off line, though with IVAP still a possible factor. The plit thockens...

Gerry Winskill

Fossil wrote:
Just to add to that I saw you all the way from EGNC to EGAC and then you sat
on the ground for ages. Although your target dropped off screen once or
twice it was still there when I finally logged off at 2200. It suggests that even though your FS had locked up your connection to IVAO was still intact.