Unusual JFW Crashing Problem

  • From: "Donna Smith" <dsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:04:29 -0400

Hi all.

I am currently using JFW11 with Windows XP-Pro and Microsoft Office
2003.  I have been experiencing a recurring problem since last October
and our IT department along with support from JFW tech support have not
been able to find a solution.  I can't believe that no one else has
experienced this problem and so am joining this list to learn from your
collective expertise.

Here's the situation.

*       I'm on a network server for work.
*       When using Microsoft programs such as Outlook or Word, the
following things happen with JFW:

1.      There is a lag in the responsiveness of speech to the action I'm
taking with key commands that grows more severe the longer I use the
program.
2.      Once the lag gets really severe (e.g., I can type a whole
sentence before it decides to read it to me or I have to hit
control-home 4-5 times and wait before it actually starts reading from
the top of the document), I then get an error message telling me that
the JAWS application must close.
3.      My only option at this time is to quickly save anything I'm
working on (not always an option, but I can do it if I act quickly
enough), then I click OK and have to reboot.
4.      The JAWS application must close dialog box gives me the option
of debugging, but it doesn't actually allow me to click this option.  OK
is my only active option.
5.      Once I restart, it works fine for a little while and then it
starts all over again.
6.      The frequency ranges from every couple of hours to perhaps 5 or
6 hours before the crash occurs and it always repeats.
7.      It doesn't happen while using web-based applications such as our
online database or several online forums we host.

Okay, too funny, but it just crashed while writing this message.  Here
is more information about the crash message:

It says "JAWS application has encountered an exception break point and
must close."  It gives some numbers that I can't follow and then says
"Click OK to close or Cancel to debug."  However, as I mentioned
earlier, hitting OK is the only action it will actually allow.

This is the most frustrating problem I have ever encountered as it
significantly interferes with my work on a daily basis.  I am seriously
considering changing to Window Eyes or even a Mac though Macs aren't
supported by our IT department and would not be directly compatible with
the rest of my office.

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced such a problem and if
there are any solutions out there that may work to fix this.

Thanks.

Donna

Donna Smith

Training Manager