Re: Getting around Winamp Update freeze-out

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:01:12 -0800

Hi Brandon and Lois,

Thank you both for your understanding and assistance. I remember that the
last time this happened, a friend on another mailing list provided me with a
direct link to download and install the update, which of course took care of
the problem. Until this update, obviously.

And I appreciate Lois's explanation of how to stop the automatic update
check by going into the Winamp Preferences. Although I don't know how else
I'd learn that Winamp had released an update, if this annoying thing didn't
happen once in a while.

So my strategy would be to learn how to escape the intrusion using Lois's
instructions about that, and then accepting the invitation to upgrade, but
by downloading and installing the upgrade voluntarily. Manually. You know.

But here's a question. This download link for the upgrade, will it remain
the same URL for the next upgrade, or will I have to figure it out or go to
the Lavasoft site next time? That's okay, if it's navigable with Jaws. Just
wondering.

By the way, thanks to Jim G. for whatever that link leads to in his
response, although I wish he'd said something by way of explanation. It
sounds like just a basic promotional and informational thing about the
product, which I don't think I need. I just wanted to learn how to deal with
the auto upgrade hassle. I'll take a look at that site later, though, to see
what it is.

Thanks again to all.