re: Connecting to WIFI with JAWS

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:23:18 -0500

Tom,

I'm using Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8, and the latest JAWS 11. I'm
familiar with the Tools/Internet Options and the Connections tab, but while
choosing the "Never Dial a connection" option may solve the problem, it
makes it more cumbersome to switch back to a dial-up connection. I figured
out a more convenient solution:

I simply set my default home page address to an HTML file stored on my
computer's hard drive, so when I launch the browser, it doesn't
automatically try to connect to the web via the dial-up connection. As long
as I first connect to a WIFI access point before giving the browser a web
address, it will connect to it via WIFI.

Alan

Tom wrote:

Okay.  I've forgotten which flavor of Windows you're running, so you may
need to look around a bit if you're not using XP.  To disable a dialup
connection:
1. Open IE8, then open the Tools menu and go into Internet Options, or you
can access Internet Options from Control Panel.
2. Switch to the Connections Tab by pressing ctrl+tab repeatedly until you
get there.
 Pressing ctrl+tab four times oughta do it.
3. Tab several times until you get to the radio button that controls whether
or not a dialup connection is attempted.  Set this radio button to "never
dial
a connection".
4. Click OK, then exit Control Panel if you went in that way.

That should do the trick.

Tom