[jawsscripts] Re: Laptop recommendation

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:30:24 +0300

If the laptop is a 15.6 inch and it has a numeric pad, do we need to have
physical mouse button keys?
Can't we use the standard way offered by JAWS (numpad / and numpad *)?

For me the missing application key is not a problem. I removed it even from
my desktop keyboard, together with the Windows keys. :-)
I assigned it to Control+` in default.jss and it does an Shift+F10. And it
works fine.

Today I visited 2 important computer seller shops and I tested many
keyboards. I've seen that Toshiba seems to have the best accessible
keyboards.
I've seen one with an I5 processor and 4 gb ram that was pretty cool. It has
spaces above the left/right arrows, some vertical space at the left of the
numeric block, and... something very rare, actually found on this laptop
only, the function keys were separated in blocks of 4 keys with spaces, like
on a desktop keyboard.
Too bad that they didn't have a model with an I7 processor and at least 8 gb
ram.
And the marks on f and j keys were not very raised unfortunately, but this
can be solved by sticking something on those keys.

I also found some Dell and Acer laptops with spaces above left/right keys,
but no space that separates the numeric block and the rest of keys.
Lenovo and Assus were pretty bad, with all keys the same, with the same
amount of space between all keys, so it is hard to work on them.

So I need to search some more.

I haven't seen HP laptops, but I heard that their keys are also not very
well separated.

--Octavian