[jawsscripts] Re: Easier way of writing scripts

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:49:38 -0700

Andre, there are many ways, depending on the app. Moving to a window
handle or control ID, doing a findstring(), Looking for a particular
window class & control ID combination, going thru the window or object
hierarchy--those are just a few for starters. I can't really be more
definitive because, as I said, it really depends on the application &
how it's structured.

I'd recommend u study the basics of scripting manual included in the
Jaws help topics, as well as some of the jaws scripts which are
located in the settings/enu directory of your jaws folder. My
scripting 101 materials are also available for purchase at:
www.screenreaderscripting.com
if u feel the other materials aren't sufficient to meet your needs.

On 11/16/11, Andre Williams <andre.williams.1965@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Does anyone know of a more elegant manner of writing a script than
> specifying every command? I'm looking to refine the accessibility of WordWeb
> a bit more and would like to not have to use script text such as
> page up
> page up
> home
> next word
> next word
> say word
>
> Is it possible to somehow take the jaws cursor to a specific icon or point
> on the screen then hit a hotkey to tell Jaws that this is the object I want
> to use in my script?
>
> For example, WordWeb has several tabs. One of these tabs is used to read the
> Wikipedia article for the word one is wanting to define. I would like to use
> the jaws scripting functions or keyboard commands to write a script that
> makes jaws jump directly to this desired Wikipedia tab object without all
> the PageUp (), Home (), NextWord () commands.
>
> If this is possible, please help a brotha out and let me know how this can
> be done.
>
> A-W

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Ask Me Computer Questions at: www.pcinquirer.com
Jaws Scripting training materials: www.screenreaderscripting.com