[jaws-uk] Re: Jaws ten special feature

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:09:41 +0100

Dear George and others

There are still some details not completely settled yet and so I would
not like to enlarge yet on what is already in the public domain just
yet.  There are clearly a few gaps in the information at present and I
would urge everyone to hold their horses for a little while longer until
more thirst quenching information becomes available closer to release.

However for now, let me point out at the outset that most people on this
list are going to be using the Tandem Centre option, this is a
subscription based affair, rather than Tandem Direct, which is primarily
aimed at large organisations.  This will be a one time payment linked to
a Jaws authorisation and flagged for in a similar way to the current
Remote Access option.

Let me again also make clear that the person receiving remote support
via Tandem would need to make absolutely no investment at all beyond
installing JAWS 10.0, however even JAWS itself will not be very useful
without apropriate authorisation so you can work beyond the 40 minutes
demo period.  Those people who are very experienced JAWS users may be
able to reap the benefit of this type or remote access option in being
potentially able to make this part of their business using this service.
In the right circumstances it may also been we at Sight and Sound or
George can remote into your machines to resolve an issue with you.  We
are currently testing some scenarios to scope out where the thing might
break as there will still be times when over the phone is the only
option.

The Tandem Centre option is currently is free until an unspecified
period after release of JAWS and thereafter will become a subscription
based model afterwards after the fashion of many mainstream services
currently available to sighted users.  Contrary to Graham's assertion
(although we don't have the numbers yet) FS will release a small amount
of completely free time so that anyone who needs to make an occasional
(by which I would personally imagine once a month) use of Tandem in
order to help a fellow JAWS user out without having to purchasing an
subscription at all.  You can listen to the FSCast here whichi conveys
in more detailed form much of what I have covered here:
http://podcast.freedomscientific.com/FSCast/episodes/fscast022-september
2008.mp3
Or TinyURL:
http://tinyurl.com/JAWSTandemFSCast

I would suggest people acquaint themselves with this matter using the
links given by George also:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWS-Tandem-
FAQs.asp
or via the Tiny URL
http://tinyurl.com/46v5vc

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road