[iyonix-support] Re: rom 512 purchase with oregano2

  • From: John Williams <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:28:34 +0100

In article <4e762196dblists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Vigay
<lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > It is very simple to detect which browser is being used. I understand,
> > from using such sites, that it is also very simple to determine with a
> > snippet of code if scripting is enabled or not.

> It's actually not that simple, as many browsers can indeed fake their
> "environment variables" (which is all a web server can detect) in order
> to pretend to be other browsers. My AntUtils does this for Fresco, so
> that the remote web server thinks you're using MSIE - but Fresco will
> still fail if the site then requires something specific to MSIE.

JS could still be detected, which would have been a help to those using
NetSurf /or/ O2 with scripting off.

But O2 already masquerades as MSIE 5.5 amongst other things, and even if
you wanted to masquerade as a later version for whatever reason, you would,
IMHO, be unwise to remove the Oregano 2 2.2 from the ID string. Testing is
usually done on an ifthere basis, so Oregano /could/ have been detected,
except for the cases of the terminally unwise who mess too much!

It wasn't done, but it could have been, and that could have been helpful.

If Castle continue to use/develop/improve this scheme of ordering, then it
would, again IMHO, be a sensible thing to do.

I apologise for having to repost on this subject, but I don't think Paul's
response is terribly helpful to anyone.

John

--
         Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/