[iyonix-support] Re: Scanner problems again.

  • From: Ian Hamilton <Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:25:35 +0000 (GMT)

In article <d56e30974e.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Peter Young
<pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is with OS 5.12 and Epson Perfection 1660 photo.

> I thought for a while this old problem had been solved, but, alas, not
> so.

> Today I have had when scanning or attempting to scan:

>   1) "Scanner not yet found", after the computer had been on for about
>      2 hours.

USB system hasn't detected the device, Epson devices are prone to this.
No amount of waiting is likely to find it, '*USBDiscover' might work.

>   2) I then shut down completely, restarted, and attempted to scan;
>   the computer locked solid and needed the reset button to unlock it.

USB system has detected the device but it isn't in a useable state.

>   3) With the third attempt, USBKick got the scanner going without
>   problems.

!USBKick will attempt to correct both 1) and 2) - even if it fails you
shouldn't be in a situation where the machine locks up when scanning.

>   4) Now, nearly 4 hours later, scanning still works OK.

> Is this still a problem for others, or is it something in my setup?
> Should I perhaps use USBKick before any attempt at scanning?

I believe you switch the scanner on with the machine so I would advise
running !USBKick in your boot sequence.

Ian

--
Ian Hamilton (RISC PC RO4)  http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
             (Iyonix  RO5)  Programs compatible with RISC OS 3/4/5