[iyonix-support] Re: ROM 512 and wireless keyboards

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:18:30 +0100
On 27 Oct 2006, Ian Hamilton wrote:
> In article <e49a777c4e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Darlington
> <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 27 Oct 2006, Ian Hamilton wrote:

> [Snip]

> [Snip]
>
>> > Have you tried swapping the cables over? !USBKick might help too.
>
>> I even went out and bought a crappy 5quid keyboard, to eliminate any
>> wireless trouble.
>
>> Yes, I did swap the cables over, still the same: only one device
>> recognised (the one in the inner back USB socket). The other one (the
>> outer back USB socket) will not give out any power (doesn't illuminate
>> neither mouse, nor keyboard if they are swapped) after a re-boot.
>
> Have you tried it with all devices in the front sockets removed to see if
> it makes a difference?

There were no devices in the front sockets in the tests, so yes.

>> The only way I can get the mouse in the outer back socket to work is to
>> physically un-plug it after a re-boot, and put it back in again!
>
>> So both back USB sockets DO work after a fashion, but the outer back
>> one only works after the device plugged into it has been re-plugged,
>> (and USBkick cannot persuade it to work).
>
> Kicking the onboard sockets is less likely to work than those on a hub.
> If you have a hub then move the mouse to it.

I moved the keyboard to a hub on the back outside USB socket (the one
that doesn't work on boot-up) and USBkick does now kick the keyboard
into working.

But presumably, by putting USBkick into the boot sequence, I negate
(or even over negate?) the claimed speeded boot-up obtained by putting
USB2 into the ROM.

This whole USB farcical nonsence needs sorting out once and for all.

I went through all this nonsence when I first got my Iyonix, and it
was all sorted with RO 5.07 - 5.11. Now I find I'm having to go tho'
this whole farcical nonsense again, this time without success!
[Unless I now use a USB hub plus USBkick in my boot-up!].

Its all enough to make me want to go back to 5.11.

Let me know, Castle, when you've got it all sorted into a saleable
product! As it is, it is unfit for purpose sold!

--

Cheers
Roger

Bury Walkers      http://burywalkers.members.beeb.net/
Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Bury Hut          http://buryhut.members.beeb.net/

Librarians are forever passing the book on to someone else.