[iyonix-support] Re: Netsurf Printing; !Unicode.

  • From: Alan Calder <alan_calder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:05:37 +0100

In article <4e6bdcfba8tim@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4e6bd46facbarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Barry E Allen
> <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Snip]

> > I don't want to raise issues for specific browsers. I want ANY browser
> > which is competent to work on my Iyonix.

[Snip]

> > However, I will stop 'bleating on about it here' because I'm obviously
> > wee weeing into the wind.

> Thanks. Is this the place to whinge about software missing from an
> Iyonix, or only problems with software supplied 'as is'? Should I
> complain about the lack of simple software to create anaglyphs?

But..but...  you buy a Windows PC and you get a 'competent browser'.
Forget all the techie 'dancing on the point of a pin' stuff about browsers
not being part of the OS etc.  How do you try and explain to a non-RISC OS
enthusiast user the point of buying a machine when there is not a
'competent browser' available for it?  These days the browser is the most
important single item on a computer for ordinary users and if that can't be
got right then what is the machine for?  This IS an Iyonix issue if there
is to be any hope of keeping the machine viable in any way.

> I am surprised those who strongly advocate the visible development of a
> 'competent browser' for RISC OS don't all band together and 'stimulate'
> further development of Firefox; and do it all out in the open.

Take a look at the depressing discussion that has been going on in csa apps
on this very issue.  Lots of people would like to do just this but there
doesn't seem to be any mechanism to make it possible.  Nobody seems to want
to take ownership of any such project.

> As far as the printing issue goes: when will we all learn not to to
> sacrifice a rainforest when we browse the web? Should printing from a
> browser be discouraged as unnecessary?

With the web why print at all?  All documents can be read on-line and just
*everybody* has adsl, don't they?  Or perhaps not?

Cheers

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.