[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix upgrading

  • From: Paul Horth <paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:41:37 GMT

In message <4862ddad4e.jaycee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          JayCee <jaygcee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My Iyonix (5.12) seems to be suffering from more and more failures
> like Apps gone wrong, losing the desktop fonts and reverting to the
> system font, just locking up completely and little niggles like that.

Twice now over about 4/5 years, my Iyonix has suddenly started
misbehaving. In both cases it was a failing PSU. The second time I
also took the opportunity to get the "southbridge" DMA problem sorted
at Castle (plus go to 5.12 and a new video card). It is now far more
stable than it has ever been (though it wasn't too bad before).
I suggest you investigate whether it is the PSU.

> It is aprticularly annoying as my partners PC on the other desk in the
> office hardly ever goes wrong and of course she can do more than me
> especially in terms of internet use which causes some hilarity ("Oh I
> suppose you want to use my machine again" wnen I need to use the net
> seriously for instance).

I use Netsurf for most browsing. I don't have too many problems, but
then I don't want to get nauseated by Flash Sh*t. Firefox overcomes
any other problems I might have.

> It is getting old now and I would like to replace/upgrade and I would
> dearly like to continue to use RISCOS.

Why? Is it speed or software you are having problems with?

[snip]

Regards,

--
Paul Horth, on an Iyonix RISC PC.