[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix upgrading

In message <198fffad4e.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4862ddad4e.jaycee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           JayCee <jaygcee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My Iyonix (5.12) seems to be suffering from more and more failures
>> like Apps gone wrong, losing the desktop fonts and reverting to the
>> system font, just locking up completely and little niggles like that.
[snip]

>> It is getting old now and I would like to replace/upgrade and I would
>> dearly like to continue to use RISCOS.
[snip]

> Let's sort our way through this.  You seem to have two problems:
> (1) reliability, (2) capability.  The two should be treated
> separately.
>
> (1) Reliability
>
> You need to get this sorted out, either by the dealer who sold it
> to you, or by Castle (maybe they are one and the same).  The two
> most likely culprits, based on the Iyonix's track record and stock
> faults, are the power supply and the hard disc.  If you're into
> DIY fixing, then this forum can help.  If you're not, then I'd say
> it's better to send the whole machine for repair so that it can be
> examined as a whole.
>
> (2) Capability
>
> Firstly, you don't need any computer to be compatible with everything;
> you need it to do what you want it to do.
>
> Browsers: NetSurf does lots, does it fast, for free, and is most
> definitely under constant development.  Firefox is the next one to
> try for troublesome sites.  However, it really pigs me off to have
> to admit that there are sites out there that work with nothing but
> IE (I can think of lots of nasty fates that I would like to befall
> the people who commit this crime) so it may be a fact of life to
> you - depending on what sites you want to visit.
>
> DVD: as I sit here, I realise that I've written DVDs on my Iyonix,
> but I don't know whether I've ever read them on it...!  DVDs are
> quite hit and miss even on Doze.
>
> Sound: it works mostly, though the quality isn't great.  I still
> hope and believe that it won't be long before sound becomes a real
> possibility on the Iyonix.
>
> Printer compatibility: Gimp-Print already gives you a wide choice
> of printers, and the choice will widen again with Martin Wuerthner's
> next release, which is under way.  All you need is one printer that
> is supported and meets your requirements; the rest are irrelevant.

Thanks to all who answered this thread; I think Dave may have hit a
nerve here!

I shall take Druck's advice re cleaning the Iyonix boards etc as it
certainly hasn't been done for a long time.

The 'final straw' which prompted my mail was after I had lost Firefox
for some reason (which I shall spend today trying to rectify as well)
and just after that when I clicked on the 'big blue button' to shut
down I got an 'app has gone wrong' error.

But what Dave said has made me think and I now realise I probably leap
to the PC when I can't do something on the Iyonix rather too readily
as it is very convenient. I will be making an effort to try to work
out how to do things on the Iyonix rather than doing that in future.

So, sorry if I have wasted bandwidth but at least it has made me look
at my perceived problems in a different and hopefully constructive
way.

--
JayCee
visit http://www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support