[iyonix-support] Iyonix hanging (was Re: EtherK not starting up reliably)

  • From: Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:24:50 +0100

In message <aa27f3594e.peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <Marcel-1.53-0821113330-868pErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon 21 Aug, Peter Bell wrote:
> > > Tried that and, again, absolutely no apparent effect.  The only thing
> > > which appears to bring the link back up is the "RMReinit EtherK".  Most
> > > odd!  Has anyone any further suggestions as to what I can try next?
> > >
> > > Something has definitely changed in the last month or so, and I just
> > > can't see what it is! :(
> >
> > One thing we noticed when doing a:
> > rmreinit etherk
> > rmreinit freeway
> >
> > it resets the IP address to default. So if you have a manual address set
> > you will have to reset it.
>
> No such problem here - the RMReinit doesn't appear to upset the IP
> address (which is set, manually, from hostname), nor the mask (which is
> set to a non-standard value for the chosen IP address!).
>
> However, the problem does appear to be getting worse - the ether link
> has dropped out five times today! :(
>
> I'm absolutely convinced that it is nothing external, but something
> failing within the Iyonix, and I wish I could work out what!

Today my Iyonix has hung solid four times so far.  No response to
keyboard or mouse, usually with the disk activity light on permanently.
The front panel reset switch has no effect - I have to power down with
the psu switch and restart from there.  I wonder whether there's a
connection with my earlier etherk problems.

--
Peter Bell - peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx