[iyonix-support] Re: Connections for 4 IDE drives

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:06:47 +0100

In message <ac72e6cd4e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2007 David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have configured 2 CD drives now and get 2 CD icons on the iconbar,
> > labelled :0 and :1 , where the former is the DVD drive; but the CD
> > drive is still not working -- it says "CD-ROM drive not found" when
> > I click on the icon. Do I need to alter the figure for CDFS buffers
> > which is currently at 256KB ?
>
> No, that isn't necessary to get it working. First check links on the drive
> are set to slave, and if that doesn't work try swapping it round so its
> master and the DVD is slave.
>
> Cheers
> ---Dave

It seems that all I needed to do was to reboot. All drives are
now working (keep keys crossed, touch metal case or whatever you
do in the computer world to wish for continued success). Even after
a reset, all drives worked -- one past poster said that this didn't
work for him.

So, to summarise for Iyonix PCers who might want, or have, a second
HD plus DVDRW drive the following connection works on Nixiyo:

        IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
     Master            Slave            Master            Slave

   Main Hard Drive     Second HD         DVDRW            CDRW

Main Hard Drive = the one Nixiyo boots from.

Then main HD and the CDRW are the original ones fitted by Castle,
the second HD is a Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 and the
DVDRW is a LITEON SOHW-1693S23C.

Perhaps this will be useful in someone's database of combinations
that work?

Thanks to Druck, Steven Pampling, John Williams and John B. for
help.

Cheers, Dave Lane

--
The shattered tower which now forms Vista from his Windows.  --Sir W. Scott.
[1913 Webster] -- a prophet for our time?