[iyonix-support] Re: Connections for 4 IDE drives

  • From: Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 08:10:11 +0100

On 02 Apr, David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In the event of one of the two lines having a problem reverse the
> > master slave settings.

> It wont make any difference which way round a CD and DVD writer are.

Mostly. Sometimes the controller circuitry on the one device will not work
correctly with the other device as slave.
Less common these days but this was a big problem with mixed Seagate and
Maxtor drives [1] on PeeCees back in the early 1990's
(Bloody big problem for me anyway the first time I came across it while
trying to add second drives to a set of machines in Finance)

[1] Amongst other combinations.

--

Steve Pampling