Re: [icon-users] Table headings on each page (etc. wish list)

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:36:35 +0100

In message <2b4de8c332780d245539f831f4dcd27318a2f4b1@localhost>
          Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All the posts about tables and page breaking just reminded
> me about a feature I'd like to see one day. That is, being able
> to have a row of headings repeated at the top of every
> page when a table gets split by page breaks. Its a feature
> which exists in MS Word

... and also in EasiWriter and it has been there for ages. Select the
first row, then Structure => Table => Column head.

> (although if its not automatic I wouldn't know how to achieve it).
> When tables get very large it can make them more easily readable.

Yes, nice feature, isn't it? ;-)

> Another useful feature would be the ability to cut and paste
> chunks of table that straddle cells. I guess this might be
> rather difficult to program but it would help me a lot.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Do you simply want to cut and
paste a range of cells? Then, yes, you can do that already. All you
need to make sure is that you highlight the target range of cells
before pasting (and the target range needs to have the same dimensions
as your copied range).

> Finally, a minor niggle, when you select all the text in a
> table cell and cut/delete it the cell border attribute gets
> deleted too.

This is actually a bug. The cell border should only disappear when you
select the "Paragraph". In contrast, when you select all of the text
by dragging over it, you end up with "Text selection", which should
not include the paragraph and its attributes itself. There are many
oddities in table handling. Maybe I will be able to attend to tables
one day.

Martin