Re: [icon-users] Table headings on each page (etc. wish list)

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:26:07 GMT

In message of 31 Oct, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip of perceived user problems which weren't at all>
<snip of user wishes that were already available>
<snip of one problem which was actually a bug>

The greatest problem to me is getting to use a new all-singing,
all-dancing program.  The designers and programmers have invested
thousands of man-hours in designing their master-work and we users
expect to be able to pick them up and run after a few minutes.

The only program that I really made to run on our platform was
Impression in its various forms.  This was issued in emergent drips and
drabs as each new feature was added.  So eager was I to use all the
features, I spent time with each successive release note going through
everything.  But I don't, can't even, do this with modern programs that
I have acquired more recently.

The only other [afterthought: see below] program I have been proficient
at was a mainframe spreadsheet, DynaPlan.  I can remember going on a
course on using it for about a week and a few weeks later when I had
found an application for this beast and forgotten all that I had learnt,
the tutor was still there and able to answer all my questions.  But
going on a course is very expensive and not something for the private
individual, much as I have thought it would do me good for Easi- and
Tech-Writer.

And there is another program that I have learnt, again like Impression
through its many iterations: a genealogy program on Other Operating
Systems and perhaps this is gives the clue as to teaching it. I can just
remember giving 'master' classes on it for a couple of hours where I
asked what people wanted to know about it and then demonstrated the
answers in front of them.

I wonder then if there is any mileage in some master class at the
various RISC OS shows.  The normal theatre accommodation would be too
large, it requires a modest sized room.  And it is best done by a
practitioner rather than an application designer, someone whose
experience is a bit closer to those who are asking questions.  It is
even possible that the punters would be prepared to pay a pound or three
to defray the cost of hiring such a room.

Even better for the master class would be if people could bring their
machines with them and practised the solutions there and then to ensure
they followed them.  (Oh for more portable RISC OS machines, but then we
all have VARPC now, don't we?)

And if the one room could be used for successive classes on several
applications, the cost per head might drop right down.

Any comments?

(I know that this mailing list is here to help us but it is not quite
the same as interaction across a room.)

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/