Re: [icon-users] TW hang when inserting cross-refs

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ICON-USERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 13:40:56 +0200

In message <12051617520787_282A9D86@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> A few nights ago I was entering some cross-references into a 10MB TW
> document.
> There are over 500 bookmarks in this document.  As I added in new links to
> each cross-reference, there was a momentary hour-glass before the new
> link was inserted into the document.  I created a new bookmark, went into
> the text and inserted the cross-reference to that bookmark.  The system
> hung.  I do not recall if the hang occurred before or after the hour-glass
> appeared.

The question is whether this is really a system hang or a TechWriter
hang? What happens when you press Alt+Break? If it is merely a
TechWriter hang, then you should see a dialogue "Press stop to
terminate TechWriter". If it is a system hang, then this will not have
any effect, or it will mention some other piece of software or
"Unknown" in the dialogue.

If it is a TechWriter hang, then reloading the same file and redoing
the same edits is likely to cause the same problem again. If you
happen to find a reliable way of provoking the problem with a specific
TechWriter file, please send it to me with instructions as to how to
cause the fault to happen. In that case, it should be easy to fix. If
it happens randomly or if it is a system hang, it is far more
difficult to track down.

While it is possible that a faulty user application such as TechWriter
can cause a system hang, it is relatively unlikely. It is even less
likely that this is a problem specific to the VirtualAcorn emulator or
the underlying Windows system. Except for extremely rare situations
there is absolutely no difference between running software on a real
or emulated RiscPC. The most likely culprit is a faulty utility
running in the background that crashes.

Martin