Re: [icon-users] Masterclasses

  • From: John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:24:37 +0000 (GMT)

On 31 Oct, John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The 64,000$ question is 'what's wrong with rtfm?  Much of the information
> is there, if we only knew what to look for, and where to find it.

It's a problem of education. As any good teacher will tell you - you need to
present the knowledge/skills in a variety of formats, repeat with variations,
give good reasons* to refer to the manual - and repeat as necessary in an
interesting and mind-catching way.

* logic doesn't come into it though - and, as any teacher will also tell you,
the best way of learning how to do something is by having to teach** it:
because then you *have* to read that dratted manual!

Good manual (printed, on-line, in-context), good tutorials (with manual, live,
as a magazine serial, video), good help (personal, list, &c), and a real need
(teaching or a real task) will all help understanding and are all needed for
good learning.

** certainly always part of my style as a teacher where I would eg ask kids to
produce a short manual for the following year's group - and that task did more
for their learning than any other.

--
        John Cartmell   john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      0845 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
        Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527         www.qercus.com