[icon-discuss] Re: some questions

  • From: Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:59:33 -0500

Hello Kevin.  I wonder if you're the same Kevin that I responded to a
few minutes ago?   :)  My responses to your questions are below.

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 16:10:34 -0600, Kevin Jones wrote:
Have there been software updates? Are they announced on this list, or only on th announcement list. How do you update the icon?

Yes.  I got my Icon back in late December and there have been two
software upgrades since then.  They are announced on this list as well
as the icon-announce list.  Updates are received via the Icon's "check
for software updates" application which checks a server, downloads the
software update and installs it for you.

How well does the icon work with external keyboards?

See previous response with this question.

If you read books not from bookshare just as a .txt file, I know there's a form you can use to fill out author info etc. Any way to do that more automatically if you had many .txt files of books?

Not that I am aware of.  I have successfully imported some .brf books
and they work fine, but I had to do each one, one at a time.

How often does the harddrive run?

It seem sto run only when requests are made to it.  There are some other
times it runs unpredictably, but I think it has to do with dumping a
buffer and catching the drive up with current information -- I don't
know.

If you're using data on an sd card or flash can you keep the hd off?

Yes.

How invasive is the sound of the harddrive when making recordings, both from internal and external mics?

You can definitely hear it while using the internal mic.  The preamp
hiss when using an external mic will also include very quiet hard drive
noises.  I'm trying to work a way around this as when recording an
event, I don't want to worry too much about preamp hiss in general.  If
I record with the mic volume down and use my own external preamp, I
think this will do the trick, but I haven't tried it yet.

How much have people done from the console, how many of the normal linux commands are available? Anyone try adding extra packages like network tools?

I haven't tried adding anything to it, but a lot of the basic commands
are there.  Busybox is being used to emulate many of the commands.

--
Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>

I welcome you to visit my web site at
http://www.MusicalMomentsWithJason.com/